Thursday, October 24, 2013

Period 6- Team Games

Due Date: Wednesday, November 6th

For this weeks post I want to get more philosophical. Read the essay below, it was written by a guy named Blair Morrison and touches on the question of; are you pushing yourself or just getting by? You can find more of his essays here.

For this weeks blog. First, tell me what the essay means to you. Do you agree or disagree? You can include where you think you fall in his 90% to 10% example and/or examples of what you do that place you in that category.

Fitness Is...

Potential.

Everybody has it. Few reach it.

It’s easy to assume that people despise mediocrity because the world is littered with evidence of humanity’s desire to excel—our obsession with talent, our reverence for heroes, even our love of money. It’s easy to assume that everyone wants to be his or her physical best because everywhere there are those wishing for a better body type or a better lifestyle. They fill our virgin ears with a symphony of sincerity and aspiration, but listen closer. They clamor with empty voices.

The truth is that 90% of people just want to get by. We pretend our ultimate goal is to be the best version of ourselves, reading the right literature, quoting the right sources, joining the right gyms; but the reality is far less compelling. If we are truly honest we will admit that the level to which we might possibly rise is rarely our chief concern. More important is reaching the level where we can merely survive or, at the very least, mock survival. Getting there is much easier. Getting there requires less time, less pain, and less effort. Getting there is too often there enough.

I was speaking with my father the other day about a friend of ours whose son wanted to be a college football player. He had good size and natural talent, but he was a little slow and lacked the explosive quality most big programs look for in an athlete. One evening while having dinner with this family my dad suggested that the kid hang a bell at the top of the hill abutting their property and ring it every morning before going to school. Not only would sprinting up the hill begin to build the explosive power needed for speed and acceleration but the sound of the bell would become a symbol of his dedication to the goal. I wish I could say the kid went out and rang that bell every day, or committed himself to some other program in its place, but this isn’t that kind of story. He, like many others like him, chose instead to remain a card-carrying member of that mediocre 90%.

Why? Because greatness is HARD. Our bodies don’t care about potential. They were built to survive, not to excel, and survival has gotten pretty easy as of late. Our bodies don’t know that by being stronger and faster and leaner the likelihood of illness, disease, and injury drop dramatically. Our bodies only know that it hurts like hell getting there. It takes supreme physical and mental fortitude and an unflinching, genuine ambition to overcome these hurdles. Most of us lack this and it shows.

In this story his ability wasn’t being measured against theirs or any others, only against his own potential as an individual. He claimed that he wanted to be the best that he could be, to give himself the best chance to be a college football player. But when faced with the reality of what it would take to reach that goal he balked, exposing his ambitions as half-hearted and insincere, and his athletic future to be one ridden along the tired road to the middle. This is an all too common tragedy.

After hearing this story, I sat for a minute and observed my father. He was visibly disappointed by the kid’s inability to commit himself to his goal. Yet I knew for a fact that my dad had wanted to lose weight for years and failed to commit himself to doing so in much the same way. This struck me as a prevailing irony, not just in this conversation but in our culture in general, so I decided to ask him when was the last time he “rang the bell.” He was lost for a second, then smiled wryly as he got my meaning. “Too long,” he replied.

Sadly, it seems that our praise of greatness and our distaste for mediocrity is an appreciation and expectation reserved for others. We expect Jordan or Tiger or Ronaldo to reach their potential every time they compete and we shake our heads when they fall short. But we shrug off our love handles and that occasional chocolate cake as acceptable losses. We cry for the children growing up without physical opportunities, yet lie on the couch and amicably waste ours away. We claim we’re too old, too fat, too injured, or too tired. The truth is we’re too obsessed with getting by.

The good news is that physical potential does not expire. It has no shelf life. Whatever state you’re in at whatever moment, you can always be better. SO BE BETTER. Too often people try to do this by setting a number to hit, a person to beat, or a mirror to impress, implicitly attaching a finite quality to the process. This focus is flawed. As you change and improve, so too should your potential grow and your ambition swell. Remember that fitness is a goal inadvertently attained through the systematic overestimation of yourself in all fields. It’s a byproduct of setting the bar too high, of striving for perfection and falling just short. It’s knowing that you’ll never get there but trying your damndest nonetheless. It’s constantly pushing your limits in every direction regardless of your skill. It’s finding a way to keep ringing the bell.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julia Walsh

I think that this essay does describe the minds of most Americans today, icluding me, because we focus too much on the negative things and not the positive outcome and not enough on the journey and once we are overwhelmed with pushing our limits we do not continue to accept the uncomfortablilty and we would rather stay in our current state, instead of improving our minds, and our bodies. I Know that I am just getting by because I feel like my current everyday problems are more important than my body and how if it is improved it will make me vitalized through mind, body and spirit. Instead of going on a jog when I am bored I would rather check my instagram and waste my time doing things that may sem important but, in the long run, are nothing. I wish I have the patience to change my habits and focus on my body and mental state rather than the small things. I now understand what the quote Carpe Diem means, it means to change and accept change that we can change at times and to work on ourselves instead of our short term problems.Because now is the time and it is important that I take advantage of my youthful body and flexibilty because it will determine my health in years to come. After reading this essay I feel more motivated to change and feel like I do waste precious time worrying about little things instead of helping myself grow to be a better person. I don't want to get by and survive because I can excel and be the best of my ability, which is infite so I will excercise more and have more faith in myself. I can do more with myself as long as I am healthy and accept the hardships of working hard to get to my goals even if they are unreasonable and far fetched because talk is cheap but action is precious because it changes our fates everday, to act or not to act so we should all act today.

Anonymous said...

Zack butler

I agree with his views on the perseverance and commitment to physique of this generation. I think that a lot of people do not reach their full potential and just "get by".

I fall under the 90% category. When I could be practicing hockey, I am inside watching TV or sleeping. While this is a bad habit for my physical yearns, I can't bring myself to get off the couch and go practice.

Anonymous said...

Anush Kaovasia

This essay means a lot to me. Personally, I agree with what the author is trying to convey/say about fitness and what people are doing to actually achieve greatness or just be average. The author talks about the different type of people( 90%) who just want to "get by" and not do a whole lot of work to achieve their goals and in the end they don't. The author also talks about the other small percentage of people(10%) who actually try and achieve their goals in the long run. I believe that currently I am in the 10% category. I used to be in the 90% category, not trying as hard during practices and just fooling around but as of lately, I have picked up my "game" and have been trying a lot more to achieve my goals which have been showing!

Anonymous said...

~~~Thomas Johnston~~~
I completely agree with the idea Morrison is trying to communicate in his essay. the will to get by is present in all humans; it just takes that extra mental push to really accomplish a goal. I feel as though i fall under the 90% category for most aspects of my life yet i can really commit myself to somthing if the desire and motivation is present.
~~~Thomas Johnston~~~

Unknown said...

Ben Shapiro

I totally agree with the view from Blair Morrison. When I run cross-country, I could just walk out because of how much I push my physical abilities during a race and training. However, as the article describes, greatness is hard. I know I can't reach greatness the easy way, and I need to push my body to the limits. If I feel like gagging after a race, it usually means I pushed myself to the limits the essay describes.

Unknown said...

Filip Hancke

Because of this essay I realized what I'm actually doing to myself. I agree and consider myself to be in that 90% of population. For example I promised to train and do fitness every day but since month I only find excuses. I think that's the worst thing of doing something wrong. You always convince yourself that it's actually good for you.

Anonymous said...

Matthew Lam

I do believe and agree in what Morrison tries to explain in his essay. Most Americans do have the potential to become something that they never imagined, but do not push hard enough or either do not have the fire in them to strive for their goals. I too also fall under the 90% category because I feel like I can always do more or that I do not do enough all the time and just do the bare minimum.

Jason Chern said...

This essay portrays what 95% of us to today. Even though we strive to reach high aspirations, we tend to not follow through on our commitments. I feel like more Americans are not excerpting exercising as much as they used to. I feel like I will give up on myself if I do not push myself to the limit. we must change ourselves in order to see the change we want to be. I completely agree with this author. The sky is the limit. We can be the best we can be. We have the potential to be on top of the world. I fall under the 90% category because sometimes, I am very lazy when it comes to doing SAT prep or school homework. Even though I know that by doing homework and SAT prep, I can be a better person. However, I must act in order to become a better person.

Anonymous said...

Andrew Lu

I think this essay tries to express the need for over achievement in order to reach the real goal that you are trying to achieve.The author wants to say that if you truly want your goal, you will be the 10% but if you don't truly want it, you will be the 90%.I agree with the author because I see so many people who talk but don't practice.I am also a 90% person because sometimes when I can be exercising, I am watching TV or doing nothing.

Anonymous said...

Rosa Pyo...
this essay describes how people usually just get by and don't actually dedicate them selves as much to work too hard for a goal. I know we are all human and it takes a lot of motivation and mental push to get our selves off the coach and go on a jog, but we should at least try. I would put myself in the 90% category of just getting by because i would rather walk the walking dead then go out for a run and i usually do.

Anonymous said...

David Betancourt
To me, this essay is trying to get across the message that we need to do more than just "get by". I completely agree with this message, because many people in America today unfortunately have this mindset. I am no exception to that either; I definitely do not push myself to do any better, I just get by as well. I definitely fall in the 90% category; I don't have time to actually take the proper time to care for my body and push myself. With my academic commitments, I find it hard to have the time to do this, and while it may be one of the most important things in life, I just don't have time to worry about it, but hopefully that will be able to change. In the future, hopefully I will be able to be a person who is in that 10% category, who pushes themselves rather than just getting by. Like Morrison says, I do have potential; I just haven't yet reached it, but I hope to.

Unknown said...

Victor de Avila

Pushing yourself harder is great! This is a great essay because it encourages you to do more. I could be playing outside but a tv show will come on and I have to watch it. I need to change that work ethic. You must Ihave the right mentality to do more than expected.

Anonymous said...

Carl D'Arpa

I agree with what he is saying in the essay. I can tell that most people do just try to get by in their phhysical strength.

I think i fall in the 90% catagory, there are a lot times when i could be doing exercise or practicing lacrosse but im not.

Peter Kang said...

I think this essay means that over 90% of Americans today are too content and feel satisfied with where they are. I completely agree with him, people nowadays do exactly that, especially concerning school and things like weight loss. They set a goal for themselves, such as getting straight As, and ends up not putting their whole effort in it, and they fail. I think I am in that 90%, since I have set a lot of goals but come up short even though I could have done better.

Unknown said...

I agree with his views. A lot of people laze around instead of go out and reach their goals. It wasn't always like this though. It used to be there were no TV or anything "digital."

I would say that I am one of those who doesn't have that huge "drive." I do laze around. But, will try to achieve my goals and, well, stop lazing around.

Anonymous said...

I believe that many people do not reach their full potential because they are not willing to put in the effort to do so. I am under the 90% category because I often slack off when I could be improving my skills.

Daniel Zhong

Unknown said...

Sakib Sarwar
I do very much agree with what morrison is trying to convey in his essay. The "will to get by" is in all people. it really just takes that extra push to achieve the goal. I feel that sometimes i fall under the 90% category for somethings, but i can really commit myself to something if i want to, like football and other things.