Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Period 6 Team Games

Due Date: Wednesday, April 11th

For this weeks post I want to get more philosophical. Read the essay below, it was written by a guy named Blair Morrison and touches on the question of; are you pushing yourself or just getting by? You can find more of his essays here.

For this weeks blog. First, tell me what the essay means to you. Do you agree or disagree? You can include where you think you fall in his 90% to 10% example and/or examples of what you do that place you in that category.

Fitness Is...

Potential.

Everybody has it. Few reach it.

It’s easy to assume that people despise mediocrity because the world is littered with evidence of humanity’s desire to excel—our obsession with talent, our reverence for heroes, even our love of money. It’s easy to assume that everyone wants to be his or her physical best because everywhere there are those wishing for a better body type or a better lifestyle. They fill our virgin ears with a symphony of sincerity and aspiration, but listen closer. They clamor with empty voices.

The truth is that 90% of people just want to get by. We pretend our ultimate goal is to be the best version of ourselves, reading the right literature, quoting the right sources, joining the right gyms; but the reality is far less compelling. If we are truly honest we will admit that the level to which we might possibly rise is rarely our chief concern. More important is reaching the level where we can merely survive or, at the very least, mock survival. Getting there is much easier. Getting there requires less time, less pain, and less effort. Getting there is too often there enough.

I was speaking with my father the other day about a friend of ours whose son wanted to be a college football player. He had good size and natural talent, but he was a little slow and lacked the explosive quality most big programs look for in an athlete. One evening while having dinner with this family my dad suggested that the kid hang a bell at the top of the hill abutting their property and ring it every morning before going to school. Not only would sprinting up the hill begin to build the explosive power needed for speed and acceleration but the sound of the bell would become a symbol of his dedication to the goal. I wish I could say the kid went out and rang that bell every day, or committed himself to some other program in its place, but this isn’t that kind of story. He, like many others like him, chose instead to remain a card-carrying member of that mediocre 90%.

Why? Because greatness is HARD. Our bodies don’t care about potential. They were built to survive, not to excel, and survival has gotten pretty easy as of late. Our bodies don’t know that by being stronger and faster and leaner the likelihood of illness, disease, and injury drop dramatically. Our bodies only know that it hurts like hell getting there. It takes supreme physical and mental fortitude and an unflinching, genuine ambition to overcome these hurdles. Most of us lack this and it shows.

In this story his ability wasn’t being measured against theirs or any others, only against his own potential as an individual. He claimed that he wanted to be the best that he could be, to give himself the best chance to be a college football player. But when faced with the reality of what it would take to reach that goal he balked, exposing his ambitions as half-hearted and insincere, and his athletic future to be one ridden along the tired road to the middle. This is an all too common tragedy.

After hearing this story, I sat for a minute and observed my father. He was visibly disappointed by the kid’s inability to commit himself to his goal. Yet I knew for a fact that my dad had wanted to lose weight for years and failed to commit himself to doing so in much the same way. This struck me as a prevailing irony, not just in this conversation but in our culture in general, so I decided to ask him when was the last time he “rang the bell.” He was lost for a second, then smiled wryly as he got my meaning. “Too long,” he replied.

Sadly, it seems that our praise of greatness and our distaste for mediocrity is an appreciation and expectation reserved for others. We expect Jordan or Tiger or Ronaldo to reach their potential every time they compete and we shake our heads when they fall short. But we shrug off our love handles and that occasional chocolate cake as acceptable losses. We cry for the children growing up without physical opportunities, yet lie on the couch and amicably waste ours away. We claim we’re too old, too fat, too injured, or too tired. The truth is we’re too obsessed with getting by.

The good news is that physical potential does not expire. It has no shelf life. Whatever state you’re in at whatever moment, you can always be better. SO BE BETTER. Too often people try to do this by setting a number to hit, a person to beat, or a mirror to impress, implicitly attaching a finite quality to the process. This focus is flawed. As you change and improve, so too should your potential grow and your ambition swell. Remember that fitness is a goal inadvertently attained through the systematic overestimation of yourself in all fields. It’s a byproduct of setting the bar too high, of striving for perfection and falling just short. It’s knowing that you’ll never get there but trying your damndest nonetheless. It’s constantly pushing your limits in every direction regardless of your skill. It’s finding a way to keep ringing the bell.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael Lui
I personally think im around 70% on his example. Our coach pushes the team (including me) to the ends of our limits. But i sometimes can get lazy and not try as hard during a workout or practice. I think to myself that i have the potential to be better but can be lazy without the proper motivation. Nobody is perfect, they can only strive to be.

Anonymous said...

I agree with some ideas he brings up. I don't believe everything he says though, I feel that we as people pick and choose what our priorities are and excel in them, not just most of us are lazy at everything. Like, with me, I work at getting better at breakdancing, I don't just sit there lazy, but homework usually takes me a while to do because I don't like it and don't prioritize it. I agree with the idea of exceling and surviving in life, but I don't think it is as cut and dry as some people excel some people don't.
-Milan Moreau

Anonymous said...

Jason Hall

To me, this essay is true, but only in certain circumstances. As young adults, we can always get into better shape, run farther, lift more weight. Some older people, however, cannot; they might have problems in their knees or weak bones. I, sadly, am probably in that 90%. When I was little, I used to do alot more things, from karate (for a brief period of time) to swimming. But, as I got older, I dropped most of those activities, always telling myself they were not neccesary, or a waste of time, or I had to go work harder in math, english, etc.. Maybe I can change all that.

Jason Hall

Anonymous said...

Arda Sahiner
I agree with what this person is saying, and I believe that nurture has a much higher impact than nature. I feel like we were born to get by, and not to get ahead, because getting by is all we need to survive. I think that the reason colleges value passions and succeeding in them, for example, is because it is difficult, and not many people are willing to put in the work necessary to be great at something. I feel like for most things, I fall in the 90%, for sports and similar activities. One thing that I think I work hard at and care about is what I learn at school, and unlike most students I feel like I love learning. Overall, however, I think I am like most other people.

Anonymous said...

Alex Murk

I believe that this essay is telling people that they need to really go out of their way and work to accomplish things rather than just get by with bare minimum. I personally partially agree with this essay. I believe that people can work to get in better shape and don't, but their are also middle- aged people who have to work all day every day to support their family and are exhausted and do not have the time to exercise a lot. I personally find myself into 60% because i enjoy running a lot and playing sports outside of school with my friends. I should push myself to be the 10% while I'm still young.

Alex Murk

Anonymous said...

Jack Dai
I do agree with this essay and I think I fall under the 90% in his example. Since my life is very busy and I have many obligations it is hard to push myself. However, I do try to push myself to be better, but it is very hard and I sometimes do not have the patience or willpower to do it.

Anonymous said...

Ethan Frymark
I personally agree with what his essay is about. I agree with his thoughts on human nature and our need only to survive. Sadly, I feel I personally lead towards the 90% side. I have really wanted to start lifting weights and getting in shape for a long time, but have been distracted with school work, extra ciriculars, or just been too lazy. Hopefully, I can start in the near future and really turn myself around physically.

Anonymous said...

-James Levy

I think this essay has some really valid points. I think that the only thing that is questionable is when it states that you can always do better, because there some exceptions such as a person with a serious illness, problem, or deficiency. Other than that, you can always do better. Sadly it made me realize that i am not "ringing the bell". I consider myself to be around the 70% mark. I also believe that this does not have to apply to physical activities. For example, i have been playing guitar for 4 years. I constantly try to learn difficult songs but end up getting lazy and quitting when i see a really hard or long solo, or i just get bored of the song. I also found that eventually i do reach my goals, just not as fast as i would want. As long as someone puts in some effort, they will eventually reach their goal. The only thing someone can't do is quit.

Anonymous said...

Adwait Shukla
I agree and disagree with him. Personally I do not think the world is just split into fat people and lazy people; its a bit more complex than that. I think what its main point is that we all have the potential to better ourselves but no matter what we do we need a little push in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of the ideas he has. Many people dream of being professional athletes and superstars, but lack the emotional strength to achieve their athletic pinnacle. However, I do believe I am part of the 90% that gets by. I have never been a good long distance runner, and have never truly worked to achieve that goal other than a run every once in a while. This essay points out the flaws in doing that, and shows how it can be injurious to one as a person and as an athlete.
- Robbie Weinstein

Anonymous said...

I find that this essay is very true. Everyone says that they are going to reach a certain goal by a certain date, but often fail to because they believe they have better things to do. While I run track and am constantly trying to improve my time, I still fall into the 90% category. Whenever I feel tired, I ease up so I can be more comfortable, whereas if I continued to push myself I would be better.

-Eric Frye

Anonymous said...

Gopal Srinivasan

The essay, to me, can be used as a good tool for motivation. However, I see it more as a commentary on society with countless generalizations. To assume that everyone can truly reach their potential is not true. Every individual circumstance contributes to what a person can do in their life. That being said, if I were taking this as a speech directed at me, I would agree that I do not strive far enough to fulfill my wishes. Let's be honest, I can afford to gain some muscle and yet I do nothing substantial to achieve that goal. I may start on a high calorie diet to gain the weight necessary, or start running for conditioning, but it never gets anywhere. Therefore I consider myself to be in the 90%. I find excuses and try to take the easy way out, which will never help in life. I do believe I have the potential to do things that seem out of reach at the moment, so hopefully I will find the motivation to push myself.

Anonymous said...

I agree with some but not all of what he says. I think I am in the 75% category because i can work hard and push myself to strive for better physically, but there is always something holding me back like laziness from reaching that goal.

Zach de Leon pd. 6 @zdilly21 #followme

Anonymous said...

I Think that during sports i am above average but still fall in the 90% I will still push myself at practices but i will not go the extra step to be the best player on the team i fell that i tryed to focus on the sport Im on was the sport i was best at but i think i could still of done them and done the extra step but i think that i like most people ane in the 90%
Stephen Tonelson

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of the ideas that this writer has to say, and i am about 80% on his example. I approach seemingly difficult physical tasks with ease, but when I attempt them, I tend to give up quite easily. Without the proper motivation belief/goal, no one can excel in life.

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of the concepts this writer portrays, and I am about 80% of his example. Although I approach physical challenges with ease, once I get going, they are very hard to overcome, and I eventually give up and go back to lazying around the house watching T.V. I believe that without having a goal set in life, no one can strive to excel in anything.

Thomas Saunders said...

This essay hits the nail on the head with the sububan american condition. we all live quite easy lives and dont have a need to give their all at everything they do. for me its true i try all out at some things but in general take the easy way out because i can. for example i always do my school work but occasionally wimp out on the studying. they one thing i always try at though is soccer. i have been playing on a team since kindergarden. so i fall into the 90% in general but do have the potential for more but i am lazy and sick with the suburbean condition.

Thomas Saunders said...

I have to say i fall into the 90% because i do try but i dont give it my all. i always do my school work but do not all ways study as much as i should. the essay is structrally sound but has some issues. first the bit about everyone having the same potential, a 80 year old in a hospital bed that needs a life support system to survive wont be ringing the bell anytime soon. thatsm the hard truth but in general it is right most people can improve themselves.

Thomas Saunders

Anonymous said...

David Ko

We, as humans, strive at many goals in life, but we never reach many of them. But that doesn't necessarily mean we don't strive to reach some goals. The goals we as people strive for are the goals that we really want to achieve in our hearts. I disagree with Morrison. I think that although many of us do find that our goals in life are very hard to achieve, that "90 percent" of us do achieve our true goals. We do not just sit around and be lazy but we actually achieve many goals that do not depend on "getting along in life". I think I am in the "90 percent" who has goals that we reach and do not reach. The goals I set for myself are met but not all are met such as hw. I usually put off hw and do not finish it until late at night. But Morrison is wrong in believing that "90 percent" of our human population are lazy people who do not strive to reach their goals because I and many people I know who are in this "90 percent" also reach some goals in life. The other "10 percent" are the people who really strive and meet almost all their goals. We still have much of our life to strive for our goals and although much of that "90 percent" of people will put off their goals until later in life, they still reach it. The ambition level for almost everyone is different. We could range from much ambition to little ambition varying on the goal that our ambition is needed in. Our goals vary and depend on what our ambition takes us to do and many of us have that ambition. Although I haven't been out into the "real world" yet, I know that many of us still have our goals that we will reach one day.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I've already replied to this blog before and my answer pretty much stands. I mainly disagree with his viewpoint of the lazy or workaholic world.
Everyone has different priorities and due to our unique situations, different talents. Not everyone should strive to become the perfect athlete, after all who would keep the world fed? Honestly, most people would be better off if they focused on their studies, but I acknowledge that the body feeds the mind. Sometimes people just don't like certain activities, I for one don't like running whereas another might not like writing. In the end, people have to have motivation a a reason to not just get by. Getting by can be tough enough seeing as people die everyday and pushing yourself in everything you do will wear you out in the end; talk about stress. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and relax and maybe smell the flowers.
Honestly, it depends on the activity. I can be extremely awesome at playing RPGs, everyone has potential to exceed BUT not everyone has the time or motivation to play. Somehow I believe it's elitist to believe that only a few amount of people try their best and the others are docile sheeple. How are you to criticize what makes other people content?
Tiffany Zhang

Anonymous said...

Noah Braunstein
I am in the 10 percent becuase i work hard everyday at everything i do
This is important to me becuase it shows that in life the harder u work the more it pays off. And that u must practice and prcatice to get better

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of the topics that he talks about. it is hard to commit to working out and getting into shape and the writer's statement about people being to lazy to commit themselves is true. i think that i fall in 60% of this example because before i moved to maryland i did taekwondo for 8 years but now here i havent found a good instructing place for taekwondo so my skill in that decreased.
-David Juhnn

Anonymous said...

Andrew Craig

I go hard in the paint. Team Win all day! I agree with the essay. It means that people can do anything. This pretty much sums up how I live my life. I am in the 10% because Varsity Baseball and Basketball help me push my limits. If people try hard enough then they can reach their potential. They use excuses instead of just going hard.

Anonymous said...

JOSH LASDAY
I personally do agree with the idea that everyone has potential. I also think that this essay is stating the exact reason why a lot of people don't reach there full potential. I personally think of my self in the 70% group. i go to the gym three times a week and play tennis one day and i push myself hard, but over the weekend i get lazy when i could just be working to "ring the bell".

Anonymous said...

JOSH LASDAY
I personally do agree with the idea that everyone has potential. I also think that this essay is stating the exact reason why a lot of people don't reach there full potential. I personally think of my self in the 70% group. i go to the gym three times a week and play tennis one day and i push myself hard, but over the weekend i get lazy when i could just be working to "ring the bell".

Anonymous said...

Seran Navaratnam
I agree with Morrison but not entirely. Most people do try to take the easy way out knowingly and some unknowingly but all men and women and WHS students have will and potential. This especially applies for Wootton students. As you see below, kids may complain about weekly blogs but we usually always get it down. The blog posts are all more than 3 lines and yes, people did admitt to being lazy but they did not seem like it. Some answers look like a PARAGRAPH! Anyways here and there, someone or something does not use or live up to full potential maybe after reading this essay readers and potential people (everyone) can understand the importance of being the 10% i feel that i have more potential than i think just like others here. We students and teachers and humans have talent and potential that enables us to specialize in one or more tasks given the idea, concept, goal, motivation, and "never give up" belief. WHS and other events/ places apply this unused potential right back to where it came from (members). I feel that i fall between both categories because if i or anyone else live to full potential, i could already be done with college (not including cost). If I HAD the mindset, MAYBE the impossible could become possible.
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
-thats what i think and believe is what makes me fall in 10%