Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Period 1 General PE

Due Date: Wednesday, April 11th

For this weeks post I want to get more philosophical. Read the essay below, it was written by a guy named Blair Morrison and touches on the question of; are you pushing yourself or just getting by? You can find more of his essays here.

For this weeks blog. First, tell me what the essay means to you. Do you agree or disagree? You can include where you think you fall in his 90% to 10% example and/or examples of what you do that place you in that category.

Fitness Is...

Potential.

Everybody has it. Few reach it.

It’s easy to assume that people despise mediocrity because the world is littered with evidence of humanity’s desire to excel—our obsession with talent, our reverence for heroes, even our love of money. It’s easy to assume that everyone wants to be his or her physical best because everywhere there are those wishing for a better body type or a better lifestyle. They fill our virgin ears with a symphony of sincerity and aspiration, but listen closer. They clamor with empty voices.

The truth is that 90% of people just want to get by. We pretend our ultimate goal is to be the best version of ourselves, reading the right literature, quoting the right sources, joining the right gyms; but the reality is far less compelling. If we are truly honest we will admit that the level to which we might possibly rise is rarely our chief concern. More important is reaching the level where we can merely survive or, at the very least, mock survival. Getting there is much easier. Getting there requires less time, less pain, and less effort. Getting there is too often there enough.

I was speaking with my father the other day about a friend of ours whose son wanted to be a college football player. He had good size and natural talent, but he was a little slow and lacked the explosive quality most big programs look for in an athlete. One evening while having dinner with this family my dad suggested that the kid hang a bell at the top of the hill abutting their property and ring it every morning before going to school. Not only would sprinting up the hill begin to build the explosive power needed for speed and acceleration but the sound of the bell would become a symbol of his dedication to the goal. I wish I could say the kid went out and rang that bell every day, or committed himself to some other program in its place, but this isn’t that kind of story. He, like many others like him, chose instead to remain a card-carrying member of that mediocre 90%.

Why? Because greatness is HARD. Our bodies don’t care about potential. They were built to survive, not to excel, and survival has gotten pretty easy as of late. Our bodies don’t know that by being stronger and faster and leaner the likelihood of illness, disease, and injury drop dramatically. Our bodies only know that it hurts like hell getting there. It takes supreme physical and mental fortitude and an unflinching, genuine ambition to overcome these hurdles. Most of us lack this and it shows.

In this story his ability wasn’t being measured against theirs or any others, only against his own potential as an individual. He claimed that he wanted to be the best that he could be, to give himself the best chance to be a college football player. But when faced with the reality of what it would take to reach that goal he balked, exposing his ambitions as half-hearted and insincere, and his athletic future to be one ridden along the tired road to the middle. This is an all too common tragedy.

After hearing this story, I sat for a minute and observed my father. He was visibly disappointed by the kid’s inability to commit himself to his goal. Yet I knew for a fact that my dad had wanted to lose weight for years and failed to commit himself to doing so in much the same way. This struck me as a prevailing irony, not just in this conversation but in our culture in general, so I decided to ask him when was the last time he “rang the bell.” He was lost for a second, then smiled wryly as he got my meaning. “Too long,” he replied.

Sadly, it seems that our praise of greatness and our distaste for mediocrity is an appreciation and expectation reserved for others. We expect Jordan or Tiger or Ronaldo to reach their potential every time they compete and we shake our heads when they fall short. But we shrug off our love handles and that occasional chocolate cake as acceptable losses. We cry for the children growing up without physical opportunities, yet lie on the couch and amicably waste ours away. We claim we’re too old, too fat, too injured, or too tired. The truth is we’re too obsessed with getting by.

The good news is that physical potential does not expire. It has no shelf life. Whatever state you’re in at whatever moment, you can always be better. SO BE BETTER. Too often people try to do this by setting a number to hit, a person to beat, or a mirror to impress, implicitly attaching a finite quality to the process. This focus is flawed. As you change and improve, so too should your potential grow and your ambition swell. Remember that fitness is a goal inadvertently attained through the systematic overestimation of yourself in all fields. It’s a byproduct of setting the bar too high, of striving for perfection and falling just short. It’s knowing that you’ll never get there but trying your damndest nonetheless. It’s constantly pushing your limits in every direction regardless of your skill. It’s finding a way to keep ringing the bell.

36 comments:

breakaway353 said...

Erica Slater~
-I agree. i do fitness workouts with kids several times a week and they look at excersing as a punishment. Also, My great grandma told me once that you can never work off a certain food, you are just working out to feel healthier. what you eat is what you eat so you cannot get by if you "reward yourself".
I feel like i would rank in the 10% of people who do not look at it as getting by. i drink nearly 4 bottles of water a day to hydrate myself, and i workout at the gym doing nearly 8 miles. To feel better about myself was my first goal but after making a daily routine i love it, i love pushing myself and knowing i have just beat my own time/ amount and i love running outside just feeling the gush of wind. i feel happy knowing that i am one of the few people who actually look at exercise as a reward and look forward to it.

Ajit Ranganathan said...

Name:Ajit Ranganathan

The essay tells me that you have do work hard and put in your best effort in anything you do. I do agree that if you do not work hard then you cannot achieve your goals in life.

I think that I am pushing myself hard everyday, but sometimes I get by things a little bit.

Anonymous said...

I believe that the essay is stating that people can do anything if they work hard; by not refining and working hard, you are slacking instead. It takes time and there is always room for improvements. I agree to this essay. Always trying hard, I try to strive and refine in my musical skills. I wanna be the best and express myself

-Irene Su

David Perroots said...

David Perroots
i agree with the essay completely. i think so many people do things not becuase they want to, but because they have to. to tell the truth i think i fall in the 90% of the people, but i will work hard to improve that and make myself a bettter person in every aspect of life

kierra j said...

I disagree with some parts of the article.

Anonymous said...

i agree with this essay and i think i fall into the 90% but i'd like to be in the 10%

-aneesh

Anonymous said...

i tink tat is very tru about m0st pe0ples an when it come t0 percentages most pe0ples fail t0 excel BUT mirrorly get by
-Sea'n Weldon

Conrad H said...

To me, this essay means that I and almost everyone else I know are not doing the best we can be. Not just in fitness, but in life. The way you take on your goals is the way you live. It carries over from fitness, to school, to work and to your social life. " It's too hard" is a motto which many live by. To me this essay tells me to try harder in life. To set a goal which I know i will never reach, but try to OVER achieve my goal anyways. I completely agree in this essay. If everyone lived by a motto of overachievement then everyone would not only be faster, stronger and physically better but also smarter, quicker thinkers. Unfortunately, i feel i fall in the 90%. I simply don't put my full effort into everything even though i know it will make me better if i do. However when I work out , I do try to overachieve my goal, and it leads me to being a fitter better person.

-Conrad H.

Yasmin S. said...

Yasmin Salahuddin

I disagree. I think that there is more than 90% of people who would just like to get by. I know that most people in our nation are very lazy, me included, but that doesn't mean that everyone is like that. Even with that statement I am a person who falls into the 90% catergory.

Kevin Zhu said...

I agree with this essay and i feel that to me it is a reason to be better in life. I also feel that I am somewhere in the upper 90% as I put in effort, but do not try my hardest.

Daniel Kline said...

I agree that people often only do what is necessary to "survive" and do things that require little effort. I would place myself with the 90% of people as I sometimes only do what is required and no more.

Melody Doan said...

I somewhat agree and disagree with this essay. I do agree that people do strive to be the best versions of themselves but he makes it sound like this is a bad thing and that 90% of people that stive to be the best versions of themselves are lazy and aren't willing to try hard enough, which i disagree with. I think that the rare 10% of people who strive for greatness have these HUGE long term goals and the 90% of people have short term goals that may seem easy and mediocre to one person but not to him/her.
In a couple subjects is school I do fit in the 90% where I just want to get by with a good grade such as english, but that doesnt mean that I don't try hard in english class. I math or chemistry I try even harder to get really good grades like As which is where i think i fall in the 10%.

Anonymous said...

This essay is similar to many of the other encouraging talks or articles that I have read. Though it makes me want to immediately try harder to push myself, I can see myself giving up the routine in a matter of days. I feel that I am in that 90% because I don't have the willpower to push me through training. I agree with what he has to say.

Matthew Chen

Liam Harrington said...

I think that this article is saying that only a very small number of people push themselves to their physical extremes, while most just try to reach a certain physical goal and do nothing from there on in order to push themselves, and ultimately help themselves. I agree with this article. I think I fall in the 90% category because I tend to stop pushing myself to do better once I get to where I wanted to be, or I just fall short and stop there.

-Liam Harrington

Liam Harrington said...

I think that this article is saying that only a very small number of people push themselves to their physical extremes, while most just try to reach a certain physical goal and do nothing from there on in order to push themselves, and ultimately help themselves. I agree with this article. I think I fall in the 90% category because I tend to stop pushing myself to do better once I get to where I wanted to be, or I just fall short and stop there.

-Liam Harrington

Aidan Wright said...

the story means alot to me. i agree and 10%

Anonymous said...

I believe that everything said in this article is true. People do complain a lot about being lazy. one thing i disagree with is that its not good to set goals. People only want to get to a certain point. Not everyone wants to be "perfect". I think i fall in the 90% because i set goals.
Ethan Granetz

Kennon Blum said...

I agree with everything that the essay said, yes people have excuses for why they cannot do certain things, they will set goals but quickly become lazy and "too tired" to even try(me before 12pm on most days). Im part of the 90 percentile, because I can set goals, and stand where I am comfortable. No one is perfect.

Kennon Blum

Anonymous said...

I strongly agree with what the essay says, however, I would place myself in the 90% category because even though I try to do my best, I feel like I'm not trying as hard as other people.

-Arvind Vijaykumar

Seena M. Sadr said...

i agree with the essay 100%. i think so many people do things not because they want to, but because they have to. to tell the truth i think i fall in the 90% of the people, but i will work hard to improve that and make myself a better person in every aspect of life.

tony99 said...

Sean Weldon....
This essay means that you have to give everything your best shot. I agree with the writer that if you do't try you can't make it. A lot of people just try to get by because the don't have a lot of time or they give up on their goal or they forget. I try hard at practice and I try hard at things I like to do. Maybe I should try harder at things I don't like as much.

Anonymous said...

Sean Weldon....
This essay means that you have to give everything your best shot. I agree with the writer that if you do't try you can't make it. A lot of people just try to get by because the don't have a lot of time or they give up on their goal or they forget. I try hard at practice and I try hard at things I like to do. Maybe I should try harder at things I don't like as much.

Anonymous said...

I think this essay is trying to say that everyone ahs the ability to achieve their goals but most dont give the effort. I agree with this essay. I put myself in the 90% becasue i do a lot of things just to get by when i do not fancy them, but i do push myself to do lots of things that are important.
-Katherine Hollingsworth

Anonymous said...

Sean Weldon....
This essay means that you have to give everything your best shot. I agree with the writer that if you do't try you can't make it. A lot of people just try to get by because the don't have a lot of time or they give up on their goal or they forget. I try hard at practice and I try hard at things I like to do. Maybe I should try harder at things I don't like as much.
-sean weldon

Firescout23 said...

I agree, everybody has the potential to do great in everything, although I don't even work out and the last time I ran was about a month ago. I would put myself in the 90% just because I truly do almost everyhting just to get by.

Anonymous said...

I clearly understand the message that the author's trying is trying to come across and I agree with most of it. I am a part of the whole "90%" thing and believe many people could reach the "10%" if they push themselves hard enough, no, more than enough. This is a difficult challenge and this essay may have inspired me a little but as the essay states, "Fitness is... Potential. Everybody has it. Few reach it."

-Adam Jacobs

Anonymous said...

I agree, i believe that most people do not push themselves to their full potential and the 9:1 ratio sounds about right. I am in the 10%. i eat right, work hard, and fully commit my self to my goals, and this gives me a sense of gratitude
Will Strasser
4-10-12

Anonymous said...

I agree, i believe that most people do not push themselves to their full potential and the 9:1 ratio sounds about right. I am in the 10%. i eat right, work hard, and fully commit my self to my goals, and this gives me a sense of gratitude
Will Strasser
4-10-12

Anonymous said...

I agree, i believe that most people do not push themselves to their full potential and the 9:1 ratio sounds about right. I am in the 10%. i eat right, work hard, and fully commit my self to my goals, and this gives me a sense of gratitude
Will Strasser
4-10-12

Anonymous said...

Will Strasser
4-10-12

I agree, i believe that most people do not push themselves to their full potential and the 9:1 ratio sounds about right. I am in the 10%. i eat right, work hard, and fully commit my self to my goals, and this gives me a sense of gratitude
Will Strasser
4-10-12

Anonymous said...

seyon padigalingam
.
This essay tells me that you have to push yourself in fitness and even in any thing else. Because if you work hard you can achieve anything you want. But O agree if you work hard you can change yourself to the point when you feel good about yourself. I would rank my self in the 10% even if I don't have the best skills in a sport I still do my best

Anonymous said...

This essay says that if you do not work hard, and do not put forth your most effort, you cannot succeed. It means that you have to put hard work in to get a good result out. I agree that if someone doesn't work hard then they cannot achieve their goals.

I don't think that I push myself hard enough. I think I'm I'm 90% category, but would like to be in the 10.

Connor Perrett

Kebrom said...

Kebrom Negussie

I agree with this essay. I'ts so much easier to complain about something than to do something about it.

Isaac Lish said...

i completely agree with this article and i fall into the 90% but hope to become part of the 10%

Anonymous said...

I think I unfortuonetly fall into the 90 percent but I hope I can become a part of the 10 percent. I could not find the 7th period version of this blog so I posted it here
SAM ELLIS

Anonymous said...

I agree with this essay that if everyone worked hard and strived to do their best in everything they do, then we would have a very successful society. Because 90% of people do not strive to do their best, we have a very unsuccessful society, whether it be physical health, mental health or whatever, people dont strive to do their best. I fall in the 90%. Unfortunately I do not give 110% all the time, but when the time is right, I do try my hardest.
Max S