Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Period 2 Basketball

Due Date: Wednesday, April 11th

For this weeks post I want to get more philosophical. Read the essay below, it was written by a guy named Blair Morrison and touches on the question of; are you pushing yourself or just getting by? You can find more of his essays here.

For this weeks blog. First, tell me what the essay means to you. Do you agree or disagree? You can include where you think you fall in his 90% to 10% example and/or examples of what you do that place you in that category.

Fitness Is...

Potential.

Everybody has it. Few reach it.

It’s easy to assume that people despise mediocrity because the world is littered with evidence of humanity’s desire to excel—our obsession with talent, our reverence for heroes, even our love of money. It’s easy to assume that everyone wants to be his or her physical best because everywhere there are those wishing for a better body type or a better lifestyle. They fill our virgin ears with a symphony of sincerity and aspiration, but listen closer. They clamor with empty voices.

The truth is that 90% of people just want to get by. We pretend our ultimate goal is to be the best version of ourselves, reading the right literature, quoting the right sources, joining the right gyms; but the reality is far less compelling. If we are truly honest we will admit that the level to which we might possibly rise is rarely our chief concern. More important is reaching the level where we can merely survive or, at the very least, mock survival. Getting there is much easier. Getting there requires less time, less pain, and less effort. Getting there is too often there enough.

I was speaking with my father the other day about a friend of ours whose son wanted to be a college football player. He had good size and natural talent, but he was a little slow and lacked the explosive quality most big programs look for in an athlete. One evening while having dinner with this family my dad suggested that the kid hang a bell at the top of the hill abutting their property and ring it every morning before going to school. Not only would sprinting up the hill begin to build the explosive power needed for speed and acceleration but the sound of the bell would become a symbol of his dedication to the goal. I wish I could say the kid went out and rang that bell every day, or committed himself to some other program in its place, but this isn’t that kind of story. He, like many others like him, chose instead to remain a card-carrying member of that mediocre 90%.

Why? Because greatness is HARD. Our bodies don’t care about potential. They were built to survive, not to excel, and survival has gotten pretty easy as of late. Our bodies don’t know that by being stronger and faster and leaner the likelihood of illness, disease, and injury drop dramatically. Our bodies only know that it hurts like hell getting there. It takes supreme physical and mental fortitude and an unflinching, genuine ambition to overcome these hurdles. Most of us lack this and it shows.

In this story his ability wasn’t being measured against theirs or any others, only against his own potential as an individual. He claimed that he wanted to be the best that he could be, to give himself the best chance to be a college football player. But when faced with the reality of what it would take to reach that goal he balked, exposing his ambitions as half-hearted and insincere, and his athletic future to be one ridden along the tired road to the middle. This is an all too common tragedy.

After hearing this story, I sat for a minute and observed my father. He was visibly disappointed by the kid’s inability to commit himself to his goal. Yet I knew for a fact that my dad had wanted to lose weight for years and failed to commit himself to doing so in much the same way. This struck me as a prevailing irony, not just in this conversation but in our culture in general, so I decided to ask him when was the last time he “rang the bell.” He was lost for a second, then smiled wryly as he got my meaning. “Too long,” he replied.

Sadly, it seems that our praise of greatness and our distaste for mediocrity is an appreciation and expectation reserved for others. We expect Jordan or Tiger or Ronaldo to reach their potential every time they compete and we shake our heads when they fall short. But we shrug off our love handles and that occasional chocolate cake as acceptable losses. We cry for the children growing up without physical opportunities, yet lie on the couch and amicably waste ours away. We claim we’re too old, too fat, too injured, or too tired. The truth is we’re too obsessed with getting by.

The good news is that physical potential does not expire. It has no shelf life. Whatever state you’re in at whatever moment, you can always be better. SO BE BETTER. Too often people try to do this by setting a number to hit, a person to beat, or a mirror to impress, implicitly attaching a finite quality to the process. This focus is flawed. As you change and improve, so too should your potential grow and your ambition swell. Remember that fitness is a goal inadvertently attained through the systematic overestimation of yourself in all fields. It’s a byproduct of setting the bar too high, of striving for perfection and falling just short. It’s knowing that you’ll never get there but trying your damndest nonetheless. It’s constantly pushing your limits in every direction regardless of your skill. It’s finding a way to keep ringing the bell.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

i agree with this man
working hard is the only way to suceed. and i would like to think i fall in the 10% for football
-calvinli

Matt Schliep said...

I agree with the essay, but i believe it is way less than 10% who reach their potential. Barely anybody reaches their potential. Many start on their way, but through the hardships and problems in life, and just dealing with the everyday grind, it is easy to get lost. Each person is born with the potential to dream big, and whether they admit it or not, most people have some dream or hope bigger than what they have now. The writer is looking at potential in a manner that purely relates to fitness goals, but in life, falling short of your dreams spills over into everything. We are lulled into bad habits, learning that it is ok to quit on a dream no matter how big or small. Once you fail to reach any single goal, you tell yourself it is ok in other areas as well, leading to a domino effect. I see this in my own life. Throughout sports and school, I never truly push myself to my fullest. When needed I concentrate and give my greatest effort, but to really be successful, I would have to try even when its not crunch time. I am unwilling to sacrifice my own luxuries like playing on the computer or watching TV to actually become the best that I can. I run hard in practice only when the attention is on me, and I only do homework when I know it will make a difference in my grade. I have taught myself, through excuses and mediocrity, that it is ok not to do my best, and do just enough to get by. Even in my 4 years in high school, I have seen the decline in my motivation, which I guess happens to most seniors, but it is still unfortunate to see. My goals have faded away, and after sophomore year, my intrinsic motivation began to fade, and I need others to push me forward. On another note, I wrote way more than I meant to and planned to...

Anonymous said...

i Agree
-Kevin ikard

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think i push myself 30%, because i often dont push my self to be the best i can be. I am not very hardworking.

-DJ Sharma

Anonymous said...

This essay tells to me that everyone has potential which every person could use, but most people are already satisfied with "getting by" as Morrison wrote. I do agree with him, most people do not excel within their lifestyles past simple survival. I honestly put my self into the 90%, because although I do attempt to excel within certain areas of my life, I do not try to push myself past survival in all areas of life which causes high expectations.
-Ellen Morris

Anonymous said...

Austin Schoenfeld

This article was a little confusing but what i took out from it was that most people want to stay be the best person they can be but not everybody strives to excel.People can set goals for themselves but may not succed. I agree with the statement it is easy to survive and that the 90% want to excel.

Angela said...

I agree. Most people only work enough to survive and need outside force to push them. I think I fall in the 30%. because I can push myself when i really like something.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the article. it is really hard to improve, but who truly knows how much good someone is on something? I don't know where I am (90% or 10% group) and I say this because I only try to overcome myself. I don't know in which category I am because I do not really know what my limits are. I have failed many times but the point is to realize what the real strengths and real weaknesses. So I have to work harder and overcome all the obstacles that exist.

THANOS KONDYLIDIS

Anonymous said...

I agree with Morrison and his idea the that all people fit into the 90% getting by or 10% striving to be great.I find my self only striving to be in the "10%" only when the situation calls for it or others are counting on me. Otherwise, I just try to get by.
-Kevin Cartwright

Anonymous said...

This man is correct that putting in an amount of effort can help you suceed. But not always are people eligeble to meet that criteria.

Lia Ajose Period 2

Anonymous said...

I agree with Morrison. He is not wrong about the facts, and I believe I fall in the 90% category of people who are doing it just to get by. I don't push myself to my limits very often, and never try as much as I could.
-Abraham Ipe

Anonymous said...

I feel as though I could push myself more when it comes to basketball and softball but when I feel like I need to, I try to push myself forward but sometimes I need help doing that.

Grace Evans

Anonymous said...

Jeremy Chung

I agree with this essay. I act lazy sometimes, but I still believe that I have to work hard to achieve my goals.

Anonymous said...

I agree. People want to be the best but aren't willing to put in the hard work it takes to get there. Most people end up wasting their potential because they are more focused on just getting by.

-Phillip Hwang

Anonymous said...

I agree with this essay. I believe I fall in between the 90% and 10%. In some of my sports I do not push my self to my full extent. However, in my favorite sport, Field Hockey, I fell like I should not just be content at just doing it. I believe I should push my self to do my very best. This essay explains how people set goals but when they try to achieve them they see how hard it will be and give up or not give it their all.

-Julia Lee

Anonymous said...

The message I got from reading this essay is that while everyone has the ability to excel, only very few people actually do more than they have to in order to get by, and I couldn't agree more. I probably fall in the 90% category of people who just do what they have to survive for the most part, and it’s not because I don’t want to be better, but like Morrison says, it’s hard and it requires ambition, something that I often lack.
Noa Berlin

Ben Summers-Berger said...

I don't know how much the essay means to me, but i agree with it. I think that very few people reach their athletic potential, even pro athletes don't reach their full potential. I think i am in the 90 percent because i don't do very taxing exercise regularly and i don't heat very healthy.

Anonymous said...

I agree because many people are content to stay in the middle of the pack as a small percentage of people excell to the top. I have noticed this mainly in sports but also in school academically. Many people have the skill but it's a matter of self motivation and determination to make it to the top.
-Cece Kobylski

Anonymous said...

I agree with this essay, and to be honest I would place myself in the 90% category. I can understand morrison's contention about our bodies only knowing how much it hurts to reach great goals.
- John lee

Anonymous said...

i agree that everyone has potential to do great things but must people are happy with doing the bare minimumUsually find myself not reaching my full potential and settling for something less.
Brian Fantozzi

Anonymous said...

The article tells me that most people want to just get by not want to be the best and over suceed. It is easy to suceed but not to be better than everyone else. I think I am in the 10% that want to be more than sucessful.

Ian Marsteller

Anonymous said...

I agree with the article and I agree people dont reach their full potential. People get lazy to easy and dont push themselves hard enough.

Max Spitz

Anonymous said...

I agree with the guy because I fall in the percent category that works hard. If I set goals for myself I will be able to achieve more.
Ethan Richardson

Anonymous said...

This essay means to me that you should push yourself no matter what. No matter how good your training is, you can always get better.

Zayd Ali

Anonymous said...

Dan Goodkind

I agree with what he is saying. I believe that i am in the more just getting by catagory rather then the trying my hardest. I agree with this.

Anonymous said...

M.Ha
I dissagree with this essay. I think that i fall in the not trying section

Anonymous said...

-Andy carrion
I agree I am one of the 90% because someone's I am not putting all of my effort wen I should to improve my physical ability

Anonymous said...

Nathan Wong

I agree with the main point of the essay that most people don't full commite themselves to their goal of reaching whatever level of fitness. I'm part of the 90% who don't reach their full potential. I rarely play basketball anymore anywhere other than this class, although I used to be much mroe active. Although, I believe that while many people don't reach their max physical potential, many people work hard in other ways. For example, they improve themselves manetally and artistically, and some people manage to improve in all three ways.