Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Period 4 General PE

Due Date: Monday, December 15th


Badminton Rules and Regulations

A badminton match is played to the best of three games.Rock-Paper-Scissors determines first serve or choice of side.

The object of a badminton game is to hit the badminton shuttlecock over the badminton net and onto the ground within bounds on your opponent's side of the court.

A rally can also be lost by hitting the shuttle into the badminton net, out of bounds, before it crosses the net to your side, or if it strikes your clothing or body rather than your badminton racket.

Badminton Scoring FormatsIn class we will utilize rally play; 21 points are needed to win a badminton game.

In rally play, a point can be awarded to either team, and in most cases, a point is awarded along with resumption of service, except when a rally point is lost by the first member of a serving doubles team.

At the conclusion of each badminton game, players or teams must switch sides.

If a third game is necessary during a match, sides are switched during that game when a player/team has reached eight points in doubles or men's singles, six points in women's singles, or 11 points in rally play.

Badminton Serving Rules

As in tennis, badminton service is always done diagonally, e.g. from the right service court to the opponent's left service court.

The first serve is always taken from the right court, and subsequent serves are taken from alternating sides.

Line shots in badminton service or rallies are considered in, though court bounds are different for singles and doubles play.

The back line is the same for both, but singles badminton is played with the narrower of the two sidelines.


For your blog for this week. Tell me one thing you learned about badminton that you did not know before reading this blog.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lillian Chen-
The only thing that I didn't know was that rock-paper-scissors determines the first serve or the choice of side. I didn't know that it was like the offical rules to start a badminton game. :)

Anonymous said...

I did not know that you hat to switch sides halfway though the third game if it goes that far.

Anonymous said...

i did not know you begin with rock-paper-scissors to decide who serves

Audrey Nankobogo

Anonymous said...

after reading this blog i found out that The first serve is always taken from the right court, and subsequent serves are taken from alternating sides. it is very interesting

Anonymous said...

Kyle Weissenburger,
I actually didn't know that a badminton game went up to 21. I thought that it went up to only 15. I think that a longer game is more fun

Anonymous said...

Yusuf Khan
I did not know badminton started with rock paper scissors.

Anonymous said...

Alex Levine

One thing that I have learned from this blog is that the way you determine who is first to serve or which side you play on is by playing a game of rock-paper-scissors.

Unknown said...

From the notes of:
Jean-Philippe SanGiovanni

I didn't know that rock-paper-scissors determines first serve or choice of side.

Anonymous said...

Chris Papadopoulos, At the end of each game, players or teams must switch sides.

Anonymous said...

Leo Meister

I learned that badminton was to the best of 3 games, and if both teams have won one match, the final match is played to 11 not 21 (in rally scoring).

Anonymous said...

you rock paper scissors to find out who gets the birdie
-JASON SMITH!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I never knew that a game started with rock paper scissors to see who serves first. That just seems kind of basic.
Jon Lawson

Anonymous said...

I did not know the game ended at 21 points. I always thought it went to 30.

Anonymous said...

Line shots in badminton service or rallies are considered in, though court bounds are different for singles and doubles play.

-Jasmyn Salness

Anonymous said...

Justin Hassani
One thing I did not know about playing badminton is that one must play rock paper scissors in order to determin who gets the first serve. I think its pretty cool that this happens even in the olympics!!!

Anonymous said...

I did not know the game went upto 21 and that it started with rock, paper, scissors. It's a little odd.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that if the shuttlecock strikes your clothing or body rather than your badminton racket a rally is lost. I used to think those who strikes the shuttlecock on the body of the rival players are cool...I learned that...

Anonymous said...

The only thing I didn't really know is that rock- paper- scissors determined which team serves first!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know the first server was decided through rock papaer scissors. And I also didn't know that the winner of the match is the winner of the best of 3 games.

Adam Uslan

Anonymous said...

Xixi Zhou-
one thing that I did not know and thought was really interisting was that Rock-Paper-Scissors determines first serve or choice of side.
it just doesn't seem very professional to me and I think it's really funny.

Anonymous said...

Edison Lin-
I always thought that you would hit the shuttlecock up and see where the head of its lands, thats the determining side of who serves. But I learned that it's rock paper scissors. What a surprise :P

Anonymous said...

i Did not know the games were played to 21
Jonathan Kandel

julia butler said...

i learned that each time a team gets a point and serves it switches sides also learned that badminton is a sport which can make you tired and requires athletic ability.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that the games was played to 21, i thought that you played to 25 like in volleyball
--hannah pollard-garber

Anonymous said...

Se Lee

i did not know that the game of badminton went up to 21.
Also if the score is a even number, the person the right serves and if its an odd number, the person on the left serves

Anonymous said...

The one rule that I didn't know was that I didn't know that you had to start your game with rock-paper scissors. And I didn't know the game went up to 21, I thought it went up to 21.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever started badminton with rock-paper-scissors,
so yeah i think that is one thing that i found out from the reading.

-Minyoung Ryoo

Anonymous said...

I didnt know that you had to do rock-paper-scissors to determine who would serve first...

Milan Pereira

Anonymous said...

I learned that badminton uses rally play.

Anonymous said...

Josh
I didnt know we had to do rockpapersicissors to determine the first serve

Anonymous said...

I never knew that you had to do rock paper scissors to see who serves first.